We invite proposals for contributions to a SEMINAR organised by ASTENE, (the Association for the Study of Travel in Egypt and the Near East), in association with the Faculty of Islamic Studies of the University of Sarajevo, on 24-26 August 2022.
Topics to be considered include (but are not limited to) the following:
- travellers to Bosnia, the Balkans and the wider Ottoman world from other parts of Europe and elsewhere
- travellers from the region to other parts of Europe and the Middle East
- pilgrims and pilgrimage within the region
- travel from the Balkans to the holy places of the Middle East, both Muslim and Christian
- artistic and literary representations of the Balkans and other parts of the Ottoman world
- the horticultural legacy of the region
The Seminar follows the successful Travellers in Ottoman Lands: The Botanical Legacy seminar held in Edinburgh in 2017.
Proposals may be submitted either for individual presentations of 25 minutes or for panels of 3-4 speakers of 25 minutes each. Please include a biography of no more than 200 words, presentation title and a 300-word abstract.
Proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 April 2022 at the latest.
Registration for the Seminar will open in January 2022.
Further details of accommodation and other arrangements, including an optional excursion to Mostar on 27 August, will be available then.